Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Minimal install of RHEL5? Be sure to check Base and deselect some packages

Today, I have experienced some hard time trying to do a template of RHEL5 for my colleagues.

I've deselected all packages, and expected to see "Minimal install" like in RHEL4.

Instalation was really fast, I didn't even need other CDs. But I felt something's wrong, such easy..

Yah, I was installing from RHEL5.1 iso's, and had to do up2date {yum update} for the template to RHEL5.2.
But there it comes. No yum. Damn. No rhn_register. Oh.

OK, i have loaded 1.cd and expected to rpm few packages. However, it didn't went that well. I've experienced my favourite dependency hell. After 10 minutes, I had rhn* packages installed, yum installed, and system registered in RHN.
But I couldn't find anything. yum grouplist or yum search package didn't return packages neither channels. Strange.
This was the time I decided myself to install RHEL again.

Be sure to check Base install and deselect bluez* packages in Base channel.

It was fast, it was funny, but never again.


Thank god we have a YUM. {beer to Red Hat}

No comments: